Thursday, October 9, 2014

Why I'm NOT Going to Take My Own Life

By now, most of you have heard the story of Brittany Maynard, a glioblastoma patient, who is going to commit suicide.   She has joined "Compassion & Choices" formerly known as the Hemlock Society, who advocates for legalized euthanasia.  In fact, this group has made a video with sad and ominous music and a lot of words about "death with dignity", "compassion", "choice", "suffering", "enough is enough".  

Like Kara Tippetts, My heart goes out to Brittany and her family. I want Brittany to know that she is loved, not just by her family and friend, but also by me.  I will keep Brittany and Kara in my prayers and good thoughts, just as I do Cheryl Broyles.

I can sympathize with Brittany because I too have Stage 4 glioblastoma.  I was given two to three years, maybe five, about one year ago.  Glioblastoma is a killer.  Four percent of people with this disease are alive after five years.  Death by glioblastoma is excruciating.  I'm older than Brittany by 23 years.  I have survived epilepsy and a meningioma before getting diagnosed with a glioblastoma.  I also have a husband as well as a son, a mother, father and grandmother, as well as brothers, sister-in-laws, and nieces, nephews and cousins.  I have run two half marathons and I climbed Half Dome in 2011. That is where our similarities end.

In the video, the only reason that Brittany gives us to consider life of value is to "make sure that you're not missing out. Seize the day. Pursue that.  Forget the rest."  She is living life on her terms, the way that she wants to.  In the face of terminal cancer, this is certainly understandable.  I too have my own "bucket list".  The first thing I did was to visit the Holy Land with my family (thankfully, before Gaza started firing rockets).

And yet, I am a Catholic, first, last and always.  And even though I was without my faith for twenty years, I came back to it because there was always something missing.  I was incomplete without allowing God in my life.  (Notice I wrote "allow" for God is always there, even when I didn't want Him to be.) This is why I will not be committing suicide or "physician-assisted" euthanasia, despite my terminal diagnosis.

Those who advocate for euthanasia, suicide and abortion are saying that the intentional taking of a human life is justified, whatever the reason.  Brittany's reason for justifying euthanasia/suicide is, "I believe this choice is ethical, and what makes it ethical is it is a choice." That is a tautology which doesn't prove anything about the ethics of making such a choice.

As a Catholic, each of us has been made in God's image and likeness (Genesis 1:27) with both a body and an immortal soul.  We are embodied souls. Therefore, life is sacred from the moment of conception until natural death.  No one can justify (although many have tried) the intentional taking of an innocent human life. Preserving our body and nourishing our soul is not discretionary.  It is obligatory.  The Catechism states that:
"Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of" (#2280). 

Suicide also violates love for oneself and one's neighbor, family and friends  - even people you don't know.  It leaves a lasting legacy for those left behind.  My ex-boyfriend committed suicide.  He had chronic depression and being an atheist, he had no hope in anything greater than himself.  So he hung himself off his balcony.  The postman found him five days later.  I can't even imagine the state of his body, his house being in the mountains with wild animals about in the forest. The postman was so traumatized that he needed professional help.

Euthanasia, like suicide, also violates love for oneself and one's neighbor.  First, it is legalized for the terminally ill. But then, like cancer, it spreads to the chronically depressed, the elderly, the disabled, and ultimately even for children - anyone the government deems unworthy to live.  Before you know it, doctor's are euthanizing people without their relatives consent as Crisis Magazine's article, Recalling Euthanasia's Legacy of Death, amply points out. Or, as the Christian Medical Fellowship in the UK points out there are several good reasons why euthanasia should be opposed.  

We are needed by other people.   We don't live only for ourselves.  I am deeply sorry that Brittany and her husband did not have a child. I know how hurt she must be, because my husband and I found out shortly after we were married that we were not able to have children.  We had time to adopt a son, making us a family instead of a couple.  (Two years later, I had my first brain tumor.)  It is primarily through our children that we learn to live for others.  But even for those who aren't married or who do not have children, service to others shows us that there is an endless need.

I have not yet been to Spain, Normandy, Istanbul or India - all on my bucket list.  I have a duty to my son and to my husband who has supported me faithfully the whole way.   Helping my son with his homework, his Boy Scout troop, and with the chores around the house, is ultimately more important than my bucket list.  Perhaps some will see this as mundane, but I see it as love beginning in the home.  Do the small things with love.

Does having a terminal disease make it physician-assisted suicide/euthanasia qualitatively different?  Aside from the fact that we are created by God, I believe that the answer to this question turns on the meaning of suffering.  St. Paul said that suffering is a participation in the mystery of  Christ and is the way we can become like Christ so that we “may attain the resurrection from the dead” (Philippians 3:10-11). Christians are supposed to participate in the Passion of Christ, in union with Him through suffering.  It's a path to attain the salvation, purchased for us by Christ. Peter Kreeft puts it thus:
In summary, Jesus did three things to solve the problem of suffering. First, he came. He suffered with us. He wept. Second, in becoming man he transformed the meaning of our suffering: it is now part of his work of redemption. Our death pangs become birth pangs for heaven, not only for ourselves but also for those we love. Third, he died and rose. Dying, he paid the price for sin and opened heaven to us; rising, he transformed death from a hole into a door, from an end into a beginning.
That third thing, now—resurrection. It makes more than all the difference in the world. Many condolences begin by saying something like this: "I know nothing can bring back your dear one again, but.. ." No matter what words follow, no matter what comforting psychology follows that "but," Christianity says something to the bereaved that makes all the rest trivial, something the bereaved longs infinitely more to hear: God can and will bring back your dear one again to life. There is resurrection.
Pope Francis puts it this way:
"Suffering is not a value in itself, but a reality that Jesus teaches us to live with the correct attitude....Your sufferings, like the wounds of Jesus, on the one hand are scandal for the faith but on the other hand are the verification of the faith, a sign that God is love, is faithful, is merciful, is (the) consoler... A sick person, a disabled person can become support and light for other people who suffer, in this way transforming the environment in which he lives....  With this charism, you are a gift to the Church."
This brings us back to the idea that people who are suffering are needed.  It is undoubtedly difficult to look upon suffering as a gift.  When I think of suffering, I often think of Pope St. John Paul II, racked with Parkinson's, trying to speak to us and not being able to, although he still communicated his love for us. That was a gift to me and to many millions.  All I know is that because of the ill health I have suffered throughout my life, and even during my "rebellion," I have been forced to grow and mature when I might not have done so otherwise. This illness in particular has been a steep learning curve, but I am still learning.  I am learning what it is to not be able to talk properly, not feel my right side, and how when the speech center is affected your spelling goes too. (Thank God for spell checkers!)  Being that I am an attorney and a teacher, this is difficult for me.  I am learning what it is to be housebound, something that is not easy for me.  More than anything, suffering has been a call to prayer in all of its forms.  I am entering an unknown world.

So, why are we so afraid of suffering?  Is suffering the worst thing there is? (I think not.)  It is worth it to kill either by suicide, abortion or euthanasia, in order to avoid suffering?  What happens when you avoid suffering at all costs?  I think the answer, as Chelsea Zimmerman said, is that refusing to suffer is refusing to live.
"Why does hatred of suffering lead to decreased respect for human life? Because refusing to suffer is refusing the totality of living. It is a rejection of life itself.
"If anything is certain in this life it is that we all will, at some point, experience suffering. Accidents will happen; people will let us down; our bodies will deteriorate; our loved ones will fade. Suffering is part of human existence and we should reduce or ease it where we can, but eliminating it completely is not within our power. In fact, very often the more we reject and try to avoid suffering, the more we encounter it; as our ability to forebear any difficulty becomes decreased, the smaller and more insignificant trials begin to seem huge and intolerable.
Read the whole thing.  It's worth it.  Chelsea and I also have something else in common.  I long ago stopped worrying about the things I cannot change. I will make the best of it, as ugly as this prognosis is.  I have the business of dying already taken care of.  I have put my life in God's hands.

After all, what is the point of life but to make saints out of us.  I'm certainly not one, but I want what Jesus promised us.  There is no need for faith when we are in Heaven.  We hope for eternal life in Heaven, and what is that but never ending love and communion with God.  Because God IS Love and that equals Joy!   St. Augustine said in his Confessions:  “Thou hast made us for thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.” 

Update:  More articles are coming out every day from glioblastoma patients, relatives and friends:

My Mom Has the Same Brain Cancer Diagnosis Brittany Maynard Had. She’s Fighting to Live as Long as She Can.

Dear Brittany: Our Lives Are Worth Living, Even With Brain Cancer

Young basketball player with brain disease to play ‘one last game’
 

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful- I will be praying for you....as awful as it is to go young, I have a feeling that Jesus will meet you and say "well done- good and faithful servant"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. You are a testimony of Love Himself. It is an honor to read your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a hero! You are in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you for sharing your struggle so beautifully & through it proclaiming Christ's victory over death! May your suffering bear beautiful fruit! You & your family will be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud to call Christina my friend, thru my husband, her hairdresser of decades. He stands behind her in the photo above as she asked him to shave her head in preparation for her treatments. She slipped into heaven on December 23, 2015 and entered God's eternal Kingdom befittingly as Christmas approached; her precious soul a more perfect gift than gold, frankincense or myrrh. I have no doubt that the cross of suffering that she bore in the end has led her there. She has taught all of us who have known her or read about her the true meaning of living, faith, and joy. God rest your soul our forever friend, Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife Christina died at home on December 23 2015, with some suffering but also much peace. I miss her. I am proud of how fiercely and lovingly she lived, and proud of how she faced death with love.

    Christina was fortunate to not have the pains, seizures, or personality changes suffered by some gbm patients. For most of her two and a half year struggle, her main afflictions were loss of teaching career, gradual loss of all use of right arm and right leg, and gradual loss of speech and writing. She was bed bound for 5 days, with body pains in final 2 days. She held on until she could see her dad again. Her final 5 hours were difficult, struggling to breath with lungs filling with mucus and blood.

    After nearly drowning, she hugged goodbye to the friends who prayed and sang for her. I held her hand through the end, which was peaceful. She was in the most love-filled room of our home.

    The funeral mass she designed was a beautiful, musical celebration, with the largest attendance seen in 8 years. We all miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Duane, It is such a profound blessing that I found this article and the loving comments that followed. Thank you for sharing your thoughts since she died. How I wish that the wisdom and love this site has shared where propelled into the public minds as much as the Culture of Death propels forward their position on life. It is tragic that anyone must die without realizing how infinitely loved one is, how eternal the human soul is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Center.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp ... +2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Prostate
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    ,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases
    Hepatitis,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Tach Disease,Shingles,
    Lung Cancer, Leukemia Lymphoma Cancer,
    Lung Mesothelioma Asbestos,
    Ovarian Cervical Uterine Cancer,
    Skin Cancer, Brain Tumor,
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete